Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Going Green: My Methodology

As soon as I read about the potential dangers cosmetics present, I ran out and bought non-toxic body lotion and lip products. (For some reason, these seemed the most necessary. Thinking of the ill effects that my conventional products could cause prevents me from being able to slather on my old body lotions or freely apply my old lipsticks.) I was fully prepared to go out and buy all new products, but then I realized I needed a plan for all of my old stuff.

Here's what I've decided is good for me: I plan to run the ingredient lists of my products through Skin Deep, the Environmental Working Group's cosmetic database. Anything that receives a score of 7 to 10 (high hazard), I will toss immediately. Anything with a score of (3-6)(moderate hazard), I will use up, but never re-[urchase. Anything with a score between 0 and 2 (low hazard), I will continue to use AND be very happy that I purchased it.

Anything that is not a low-scoring product that I haven't opened yet, I will try to return to the store. Some things I purchased a long time ago as backup because they were limited edition products. These I will try to sell on Amazon or Ebay. I may try to swap unnatural samples on Makeup Alley. However, anything with a high score will be thrown out. I don't want to give to other people products that I'm not comfortable using on myself.

Once I've used up or gotten rid of all my old products, I will start buying new things. :) What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment