Sunday, August 28, 2011

Green or Unclean?

Since I have decided to go as green, or clean, as possible with my skin and makeup regimen, all makeup that I purchase in the future will be non-toxic (at least, I'll try my best to make sure that it is). Unfortunately, I've accrued a bunch of makeup in the past that is probably not clean. So, I'll be checking how my makeup and skin care items measure up on Skin Deep, the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Database, and deciding whether or not to keep them. I'll be sharing the ratings of my products with you in installments called "Green or Unclean?" so that, unlike me, you can use this information before you buy products.

My first product is:

 
MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation
Active Ingredient: Octyl Methoxycinnamate
Inactive ingredients: Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polydecene, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Tea-Isostearate, Tea-Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Kaolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pantethine, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steareth-21, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben
May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens

First off, I immediately noticed that it contains three types of parabens. 

The Skin Deep Database gives this foundation a score of 6, indicating that it presents a moderate hazard to people's health. The Database divides scores into three categories: low (0-2), moderate (3-6), and high (7-10). Hopefully one day all of my products will be non-hazardous.

Verdict: Unclean

MAC Select has been my daily foundation for several months... I will be switching to a new foundation. /:

No comments:

Post a Comment