Saturday, August 27, 2011

Why I'm Going Green

I've slowly been becoming more aware of the environment, how I have an impact on it, and how things have an impact on me. When I was living on my own for the first time, in college, I realized that trash actually went somewhere and accumulated - so I started recycling religiously. I took a class on American Culture and I realized that the meat industry had a lot of flaws - so I became a vegetarian. It's been a couple of years since I was in college and I've continued to recycle and be a vegetarian.

I recently (in the past year and a half) become more interested in makeup. I got really into watching YouTube videos, then reading blogs, then spending all my spare cash on cosmetics. Recently, I read a book Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. The author of this book analyzes cosmetic products, beauty companies' claims, and how well these claims are met through a study products'  ingredients. I had always wondered about claims made by different products, but assumed that in this day and age of scientific discovery that my products were laden with "super" ingredients. It seems kinda sad, but I was shocked to realize that many of the ingredients included in my skin care items actually had detrimental effects.

After reading this book, I decided to research more on my own. Google led me to the Environmental Working Groups' Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. This, along with other books I've now read, has led me to decide to only buy toxin-free products - no more toxic skin-care products, cosmetics, cleaning products, etc. I created this blog so that I can keep track of my purchases and to provide information that could be of help to anyone who should happen to read it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment