While I think it's best to try to eat produce and other whole-food items, sometimes fast food becomes the only option. For instance, sometimes I forget to schedule time for me to eat and I have to grab a quick bite on my way to work from a haircut or a doctor's appointment. A lot of fast food chains have relatively clean options for meat eaters - some variation of a grilled chicken salad. It's a bit harder when you're a vegetarian, because vegetarian options are often laden with cheese or a high-calorie sauce. Here are my top five meals to grab on the run for vegetarians:
1. McDonald's. McDonald's has salads, but if you ask for them without the meat you're basically eating lettuce. I order a fruit and walnut salad and two side salads. This comes out to about the same cost ($3.50) but is much more filling.
2. Subway. Order a veggie delite or a veggie max sub. I usually get a foot-long veggie delite with every vegetable (if you only like some of the toppings, don't be scared to ask them to double the amount of everything) and eat half for my lunch and the other half for dinner.
3. Starbucks. Get the grilled vegetable sandwich and ask them to heat it up for you. Also get a banana to eat on the side.
4. Supermarket. Run into a supermarket and grab some pre-cut and packaged fruit, crudites, hummus and pita. Dip the crudites and pita in the hummus and eat the fruit on the side.
5. Snackbars. Sometimes I'm on so much of a run that I don't have any time to stop at all. Because this happens more than I would like, I started to have a couple of Larabars in my purse at all times. I can always eat one or two of these in cases of emergency. You can also stash some nuts and/or dried fruit in your purse or at your office in cases of emergency. I love cashews, almonds, prunes, and craisins.
Let me know if you have any veggie options for those of us who are on the run!
~ SusanSorry for being MIA... I've been dealing with some stuff and didn't have the time or energy to blog. /: But, now I'm back!